Monday, January 30, 2023

What type of Leader do you want to be?

 


Monday Motivation, January 30, 2023

What type of leader do you want your daughter to be?   This is the question that my second-grade teacher, Mrs. Knipper (now Mrs. Giesy), asked my parents.  I do not remember any specific incidents from second grade which may have spurred this statement, though I can remember other grade school incidents of which I was not on my best behavior. 

My elementary was small, only one classroom for grades kindergarten – sixth.  My class was also small, no more than 24 students in any year.  I was a big fish in a very small pond though I did not realize it at the time.  I was not always the nicest child and did tease other students.  If there was trouble in my class, I was the first one questioned.  The school principal and I were on a first name basis.  Because I was a good student and took responsibility, the punishments were never very harsh.  I remember teasing a classmate on the school bus.  The punishment was to sit in the front of the bus by myself; having everyone walk past and know why I was sitting up front - in solitude. 

After Mrs. Knipper spoke to my parents about my leadership, my parents considered how to guide me to a more positive future.  Their solution was to put me in charge of the calves on our dairy farm.  Up until this point, I was not required to do barn chores before school and had few responsibilities after school.  My four older siblings were all required to work in the barn before and after school.  Now, I was joining them.  This required me to get up at 5am, dress for the barn and feed the calves prior to having breakfast and going to school.  After school, we would do it all again before dinner.  Growing up in the snow belt of northeast Ohio, this was not a fun task during the winter. 

Did the responsibility of caring for the calves cure my wild side?  Probably not immediately however it did establish in me a solid work ethic.  I learned to take care of responsibilities before doing the fun things.  I also learned how to treat others according to the Golden Rule. 

The activities that did shape my leadership can be linked back to the farm, especially involvement in 4-H.  4-H Youth development program taught me project management, leadership skills, teamwork, and confidence.  All this points back to that question, “What type of leader do you want your daughter to be?”

I have come a long way from that little second grade student with the shag haircut (circled in photo) who had little direction.  I have learned skills that bring value to others.  As an encouraging and open-minded listener, a confident connector, and empowering and resourceful leader, I guide my clients to a brighter future filled with confidence, happiness and success.

What type of leader do you want to be?  Who was the Mrs. Knipper in your life?  Remember that becoming a leader is a journey.  By continually improving and honing our skills, we can lead and serve those around us and inspire them to become the best version of themselves.  VSM Coaching and Consulting is here to walk with you on that journey. 

Make it a momentous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment