Monday, January 9, 2023

Change for the Better

If you follow politics, this past week, the Republicans in the House were voting on a Speaker of the House.  It took 15 votes until Kevin McCarthy was elected.  As I was hearing of the updates from vote to vote, it reminded me of the quote “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”  This translates to if you are doing the same thing repetitively yet expecting different results, something needs to change. 

Think of a carousel at a carnival which goes round and round, the view never changes.  It is fun for a few rides though there are other carnival rides to try and experience.  It is the same way with life.  Look around for opportunities to create your best life; get out of your comfort zone.

Consider your finances.  You have income and expenditures.  If you are continually short of funds near each pay day, something needs to change – either your income or expenditures.  With income, consider the ways to change it – different job with higher salary, additional job to help cover costs, selling belongings to raise the funds.  Or, consider ways to adjust expenditures, review spending habits and determine where money can be saved.  Unless something changes, you will continue to be short of funds near pay day.

To make changes, we need to evaluate our habits, consider changes to make, then intentionally apply those changes.  I have an upcoming trip to Italy – my first one.  I want to be able to communicate in Italian with basic remarks.  I could talk about learning Italian and not do anything but talk about it.  Or, I can come up with a plan. 

That is what I did, made a plan which includes what tool to use, how often to use it and how to practice.  The Library has a free resource, Transparent Language.  I have downloaded the app and am using it when I am eating my lunch.  Normally during lunch, I scroll through social media.  I am changing this habit and am committing myself to practice Italian at least 3 days per week during lunch.  Then I will practice by finding others who also speak Italian.

If I only talked about learning Italian yet did not change my habit of scrolling social media during lunch, I would never learn it.  Consider areas in your life where you are unhappy.  What have you done to change the situation?  What is in your control?  What actions can you take to get different results?  Yes, it takes effort, and yes, it will take us out of our comfort zone.  Change and success does not occur in the comfort zone.

Kevin McCarthy eventually won the vote for Speaker of the House.  He knew that something had to change to get the votes.  He negotiated changes to earn the votes. 

Consider the changes that you can make in your life to get different results.  You are here to do wonderful things.  I believe in you and know that you have the capability to make those changes and quit the insanity of doing the same thing over and over again. 

I am here to help you take that first step, that first change.  Together, we can make you be the best version of yourself.

Make it a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment